What is Steel Wool Photography?
It is a variation of light painting that uses long exposure to capture a moving light source.
1. Firstly, here is a list of items you need:
- Industrial steel wool (grade 0000). Do not use low grade/ plastic material wool because it cannot be lit up.
- Egg beater
- Clothes hanging rope/ string
- Gloves (for safety purposes)
2. Now that you’ve got all your materials, stuff the steel wool inside the egg beater and tie up the rope onto the end of the egg beater.
3. Next, find a safe and dark location for your shots.
4. Before you execute, adjust your camera settings:
- Mode : manual/ bulb
- Shutter speed : 5 - 25 seconds (depending on how bright your surrounding is)
- F-stop : F/8
- ISO : 100
The setting for your phone camera is the same as the above. Most phone camera comes with a ‘light painting’ mode these days. Alternatively, third party applications like CameraFV5 can be helpful for phone users to activate manual settings.
5. Now it is time for the fun part! Light up your steel wool and spin it up to 20 seconds while you take your shots.
Voila! Now, you can check steel wool photography off your list.